Mike Griffin was appointed to the role of Chief Executive of The Australian Power Institute (a not for profit energy industry organisation established to provide sustainable skills in professional power engineering) in January 2007 and since taking up this position has been responsible for:
- Providing a sustainable supply of quality power engineering graduates to the energy industry – includes a bursary program and promotion of engineering in schools
- Facilitating a strong power engineering education platform – includes partnering with universities to develop power engineering curriculum and offering a suite of professional development training for power engineers in industry
- Coordination of industry and university innovation initiatives – industry initiated projects with strong collaboration between universities/research organisations to produce tangible benefits to industry.
Mike has over 30 years experience in engineering and management roles in the Australian energy distribution industry:
- General Manager Network Asset Management at Energex
- Member of Standards Australia Electrotechnology Sector Board
- Member of the Energy Networks Association Board
- Member of National Electricity Market Management Company (NEMMCO) Participant Advisory Committee
- Board Member of the Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers (APESMA).
- Technical Program Manager for Distribution 2000/Energy 21C Series of Transmission & Distribution Conferences from 1990 to 200